Recite Me Logo Easy Read and Translation

Group of four older teenagers

Leaving and After Care Health Services

What is the LAC (Looked after Children)/LAAC (Leaving and After Care) Health Team? 
We are a team of public health nurses whose role is to support you with managing your own health needs in preparation of you leaving care.

It is our responsibility to assist you with access to appropriate health services. This includes access to information and advice. For example, supporting you to register with a local doctor or dentist. This may also involve support from your Personal Advisor.

You will be able to access the service until the age of 21 or 25,if in full time education.

As well as offering health support, we also complete your Health Passport.

What is a health passport? 
In preparation for you moving to the Leaving and After Care team, your Social Worker will be referring you for your last statutory Review Health Assessment. They will ask you if you are happy for our team to contact you around your 18th birthday. This will be to complete your Health Passport.

A Health Passport contains your health history and present medical conditions. This includes your immunisation history, hospital admissions and your birth details. It also contains information about your registered GP, dentist and other services you may be accessing. There is also information to signpost you to local services within Bedfordshire.

You will be given your Health Passport for your records. Other health professionals can add information to it and importantly, so can you.

What happens if I live outside of Bedfordshire?
If you reside outside of the Bedfordshire borders when you turn 18, we will write to your to offer you our contact details and our telephone service, if applicable.

Can I contact your team to support me with my health issues?
Yes. We take referrals from young people who are Central
Bedfordshire or Bedford Borough Care Leavers. You can self-refer to our team or we accept referrals from Social Workers or Personal

What can you support me with?
We can assess your health needs and refer you to the appropriate services available. We will work closely with your Personal Advisor to ensure that you receive the right support for you and this is included within your care plan and health passport.

We can also help you with:

  • Health advice
  • Signposting to other services
  • Lifestyle and well being
  • Emotional well being

Click on the link to download  a copy of our leaflet:  Initial Health Assessment

Useful Contact Numbers

  • Drug and Alcohol : Aquarius (Bedfordshire Young People) 30 Meadway, Bedford Tel: 01234 341977
  • Sexual Health: Brook Bedford, 4—6 The Broadway , Bedford
    Tel: 01234 761090
  • iCaSH Bedfordshire: Kings Brook 5 St Johns Street, Bedford MK42 0AH Tel: 0300 300 3030
  • Mental Health and Well being: or livewell/youth-mental-health
  • Samaritans
  • Dental Health Services: Community Dental Services, Bedfordshire Tel: 01234310223 or
  • Registering with a GP:
  • To access your full GP health records:


iCare imageLooked after Children & Leaving and After Care Health Team
Union Street Clinic
Union Street
MK40 2SF

Tel: 0300 555 0606
(Children's Community Health HUB)


In this section
Latest News
Compliments and complaints
Patient Experience