Recite Me Logo Easy Read and Translation

Young Carers

Does someone in your family have a disability or special health need?

If you are under 18 you may be taking on caring responsibilities for others, in addition to your own personal ones. 

This may be to someone in your family, household or a relative with a mental or physical illness, disability or dependence on drugs or alcohol. 

A young carer often takes on practical, emotional caring responsibilities that would normally be expected of an adult. 

This may include looking after money matters, cooking, sometimes arranging appointments and translation. Care may also include looking after and organising medicines as well as the person’s personal hygiene. 

Caring for someone often means you will be emotionally supporting them as well. It can be a lot of work on top of your schoolwork or job. You may have very little time if any to do things for yourself or see friends.

Having a parent or sibling in your home who requires extra help or care may mean you qualify for support yourself as a young carer.

It’s ok to think about yourself and ask for help.

What you can do to help

You may have caring responsibilities that means time to yourself, however little, feels impossible, even selfish - talk to another adult who you trust (relative, friend, teacher) or access drop in groups and charities (please see below).

Looking after yourself is important for good physical and mental health.

You might find more useful information on our "Mental Health" and "Making Healthy Choices" pages.

There are dedicated services in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough where you can access support: 

Who can help?

For more advice about being a young carer speak to one of our team. You can Call Us on 0300 029 50 50 or Text Us on 07520 649887 to start a conversation. **Monday to Friday 9.30am - 4.30pm excluding bank holidays**

Older children (aged 11-19) can ask advice from a school nurse by texting our confidential ChatHealth service on 07480 635 443.

Need more information?

Easy read and translation

If you need help reading our website or require a translation click the Easy Read and Translation button at the top of the page.

For more help with using Easy Read and Translation visit our dedicated page


Delivering excellence in Children and Young People’s Services:
a partnership between Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust and
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust.
Funded by Cambridgeshire County Council and Peterborough City Council

Latest News
"You boosted my confidence when i really needed it"