Recite Me Logo Easy Read and Translation

Accessing health, support and emergency care

As you prepare to leave school you will be getting ready for new and exciting challenges. This will include taking more responsibility for managing your own health and wellness needs.

You will be able to take a more active role in some health activities which previously your parents or carers may have arranged for you.

This could include things like:

  • Booking health appointments
  • Speaking to health care professionals for advice
  • Accessing sexual health services
  • Monitoring your own health and knowing when to get help
  • Ordering medications or buying some medications from a pharmacy

Sometimes it is tempting to search you symptoms on the internet but it is best to use a recognised source such as the NHS website.

It will be helpful for you to know how to do these things and who can support you.

Young people over the age of 16 can consent to their own treatment and see a healthcare professional without an adult (there are special rules for young people under 16 seeking medical advice around if they fully understand the treatment).

It is always a good idea to tell the adult who cares for you about medical concerns if you feel safe to do so.

More information about consent to healthcare can be found here.

What you can do to help

It is useful to have a basic understanding of first aid and when to get urgent medical assistance in an emergency -   

By downloading the NHS app to your device you can make appointments, order any medication you might be prescribed and see your Covid-19 immunisation history. You can find out more about how to do this here: 

Knowing how to treat everyday health problems, such as coughs and colds at home, is also important, as is understanding where to get help and who is the right person to provide this. 

The following link explains where you can get health support and includes advice about using the NHS 111 phone or online service, talking to your local pharmacist (in a chemist shop), making an appointment with a Doctor or accessing services at a hospital:

Guide to local NHS Services  

In a health emergency, dial 999 and ask for the ambulance service, an operator will then be able to help you.

For urgent mental health support you can contact the crisis team by dialling 111 option 2 or attend your local Accident and Emergency Department.

It might also be useful to look at this website: 

For support around sexual health you can contact iCash at: 

For a non-urgent question about your health you can also talk to a school nurse at our Chathealth text messaging service (see below).

Who can help?

For more advice about getting help speak to one of our team. You can Call Us on 0300 029 50 50 or Text Us on 07520 649887 to start a conversation. **Monday to Friday 9.30am - 4.30pm excluding bank holidays**

Older children (aged 11-19) can ask advice from a school nurse by texting our confidential ChatHealth service on 07480 635 443.

Need more information?

Easy read and translation

If you need help reading our website or require a translation click the Easy Read and Translation button at the top of the page.

For more help with using Easy Read and Translation visit our dedicated page


Delivering excellence in Children and Young People’s Services:
a partnership between Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust and
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust.
Funded by Cambridgeshire County Council and Peterborough City Council

Latest News
"You boosted my confidence when i really needed it"