Additional needs


Some children and young people experience different health concerns (sometimes resulting in a diagnosis) which can have a significant impact on their childhood experience. This can be a very worrying and scary time for you and your child.

Your child or young person should have all the same opportunities as their friends. If your child has medical health needs, they can sometimes worry about this and wonder how their care will continue while in school. You may also have concerns.

What you can do

If your child has an additional need, it can help the local authority to know that your child may need further support when they are in school. A health professional who is supporting your family can let the local authority know about your child's needs from an early age. You can also find out more about what your local authority offers below:

Special educational needs and disability offer – Central Bedfordshire

Bedford Borough SEND team

It can also be helpful to:

  • Speak to the school or nursery they are attending
  • Speak to the health professional who is leading your child’s care
  • Write down what you do to support your child each day. This can help form a plan which highlights areas where your child needs assistance whilst at their nursery, preschool or school.

Who can help?

If you’re worried about your child’s development, call your health visiting team on 01525 631150 or text a health visitor via Parentline on 07507 331456.

For young people with additional needs aged 11-19, our school nursing team is available to give confidential advice via text on ChatHealth, simply send a message to 07507 331450.


Links and additional information

Speech and language advice and information from child speech Bedfordshire

SNAP parent carer forum (Central Bedfordshire)

Bedford SEND Independent Advice & Support Service SENDIASS

Latest News
Compliments and complaints
Patient Experience