Recite Me Logo

Moving and handling in your home

Your child may need help to move. This can be moving from a wheelchair/buggy to a chair, helping your  child to get up from the floor or onto the toilet. This often called ‘moving and handling'.

What you can you do to help

It is important that anyone helping a child or young person to move also looks after themselves. 

If you would like to know more about back care please watch the following video:

If a child requires assistance to move at home the occupational therapist can provide guidance to ensure all carers can safely and comfortably look after their child.

The support will explore each of the different  moves  the child makes throughout the day in order to get from one place to another or from their bed to their seat. Sometimes equipment such as hoist will be needed...

 Hoist shutterstock_331801826 edit SQ crop

We may need to look at the space within your home to check this is working for you and your child. Take a look at our housing page for more information about this.

Paid carers

If you as parents or other family members employ carers privately – you are responsible for finding and paying for moving and handling training for those who work for you.

Easy read and translation

If you need helping reading our website or require a translation click the Easy Read and Translation button at the top of the page.

For more help with using Easy Read and Translation visit our dedicated page
Latest News
Compliments and complaints
Patient Experience
You boosted my confidence and parenting skills in general.